Thursday, November 5, 2009

Think...before you speak

A photographer went to a socialite party in New York. As he entered the front door, the host said ‘I love your pictures - they’re wonderful; you must have a fantastic camera.’ He said nothing until dinner was finished, then: ‘That was a wonderful dinner; you must have a terrific stove.’
— Sam Haskins (via simko) (via rachellehruska)

How bang on is this? How many times has someone said something to you, meaning it to be a compliment, and it is so completely and utterly an insult that you can't even imagine how they thought they were being nice! My personal favorite is "WOW! You've lost so much weight!" I mean, was I a huge, fat cow before? And, since I haven't shed any of that extra padding you reference, am I still a big fat cow, just in a more slimming outfit than last time I saw you? I mean, come on, people.

Here's the rule of thumb, ok? Don't say it if there is ANY chance it could me misconstrued. Capiche?

PS - Dad, as much as I love you....you are the guiltiest of all. "What did you do with your hair?" can be rephrased a wee bit better.

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com